Wednesday, October 6, 2010

October 6 Three Lessons Learned

I am counting down to 3 more radiotherapy sessions! My skin is alright and the doctor did not even prescribe anything for it. Now the sessions go quickly - I have learned to undress quickly and efficently place myself in the right (although still awkward) position. Now I focus on praying for only one thing and there is not really enough time to finish. Today I pray for my friend (same-age) on a short-term medical mission in Haiti. She is carrying 50 lbs of supplies and flying alone. May the Lord be with her; bless the team and use them to bring hope and healing to the people served.

As the treatment is coming to closure, I am wrapping up with the 3 most important lessons learned from the Lord during the treatment process.

First my primary call is to be a helper. I have made a new commitment to be a “cheerful helper.” Although I was imagining that there may be some grand vision or mission for me after the illness, : ), there is none! Rather the Lord reminded me to go back to my original call – to be a helper. While there is a part of me that wants to be some fantastic role model in woman leadership (particularly for my female students), the Lord has showed me my primary role is to be a helper. So much for the grandiose dream of being some special Christian woman leader! Ha ha! : ) I pray therefore that I would be content to be a helper in different capacities at work or in ministries.

Second I am the Lord’s servant. There is a part of me that wants to do significant and meaningful tasks in life that are worthwhile. I am learning not to judge or assign value on tasks and leave that judgement to my Lord. My duty is to complete His assignments faithfully regardless of its apparent worth in my eyes (which is often based on the secular value of success). I pray that I can fully trust the Lord’s leading and learn His path and not rely on my “shrewd” strategies.

Third, I am going to live “happily” ever after. In fairy tales, you live happily after because you meet your prince and your circumstances are good. Some folks advocate happiness as a choice. I do pray that I can choose to be joyful (not necessarily happy as it depends on the definition of happiness) based on contentment in the Lord. I hope to laugh and joke as much as possible and enjoy simple pleasures of life each day.

May the Lord help me abide by these three commitments! Perhaps this is something you can share as well and may the Lord help us all!

2 comments:

  1. It is good to know that you find some 'meaning' in the illness.

    世事無常,正所謂「變幻原是永恆」。「因 為 我 們 沒 有 帶 甚 麼 到 世 上 來 、 也 不 能 帶 甚 麼 去 。」(提前6:7) 既然我 們 沒 有 帶 甚 麼 到 世 上 來,我們現在一切所擁有的都是神的恩典。

    God bless

    Mindful man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Almost there. God always leads the path and all we need to do is to follow what lays ahead of us and serve our Lord. Well done and happy to see that you have regained your energy!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete