Sunday, June 27, 2010

June 27 Back on Track?

Yesterday morning I woke up with a not-so-pleasant dream. The new semester started and it was the first day of class - somehow the enrolment, the scheduling, the room arrangements were all messed up and I could not manage to get the course going. The course was “History of Psychology” that I knew nothing about. I told Victor the only thing I did right in the dream was speaking in English – at least I retained some skills. I noted my anticipation anxiety about the upcoming semester is two months in advance. Yes, everything needs to fit perfectly in the next 2 months – the 3 chemotherapy cycles cannot be delayed. The radiotherapy schedule needs to be in the morning so I have enough time to travel back for classes. Somehow I trust that it will all work out; nevertheless the dream reflects some latent anxiety!

My wishful thinking is that I don’t need to go back to work; the truth is I have to. Cancer does not exempt me from the realities of life. I have the privilege to take a nice break from various responsibilities, thanks to family and friends who pamper me with love and colleagues who support me with generosity. There is a part of me that wants to be lay back forever; the fact is my life is not just for me as I still have obligations to others. Moreover, my life belongs to my Creator and the only real choice is to acknowledge Him and surrender to Him willingly and joyfully. I have to admit that sometimes I resist this choice, feeling entitled to moan and groan and wanting to claim the right to do nothing! Unfortunately such resistance only makes one miserable.

I am not sure I can be back on track. For a while, I feel repulsive towards “work,” but these are the projects I have felt very passionate about – the faith-related research project with Christian colleagues, the opportunity to be involved in advancing clinical psychology / mental health in Macao, the leadership training / development work with college students, etc. I used to feel like a train on track, fueled by my passion and capabilities (from education and experience)and moving towards a clear destination. God was in all this as well, as I also had a ministry direction. In illness however I am so ready to just let go and everything seems illusive. I am shocked by how easily and readily my passion and my confidence collapsed. But then when my concern shifts to the protein content of soy drink and tofu, what passion can I retain? When I am clueless whether my body is generating enough new blood cells, what confidence can I hold onto? I am not sure whether Satan disrupts my plans or God shatters them in order to lead me to another path. I trust that ultimately God is sovereign and He uses every circumstance to work out His perfect plan.

I have to wait and see how I would return. My priorities have definitely changed. I have a better grasp that the end goal is about loving God and the activities are really just the means. I do not know whether I would be go back on the same path but walk it with a different inner quality or I will walk one step at a time to discover a new path. I am praying for two things in the future; not sure I can have both and whether the two can really co-exist although I desire both.

1. To live a life of giving and fight the GOOD FIGHT as Paul has:
“For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.” 2 Tim 4:6-7

2. To live a happy life enjoying God’s gifts and not worrying about the longevity of life (and recurrence of cancer):
“Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him — for this is his lot. Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work — this is a gift of God. He seldom reflects on the days of his life, because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart. Eccl 5:18-20
我所見為善為美的、就是人在神賜他一生的日子喫喝、享受日光之下勞碌得來的好處.因為這是他的分。 神賜人資財豐富、使他能以喫用、能取自己的分、在他勞碌中喜樂.這乃是神的恩賜。他不多思念自己一生的年日.因為神應他的心使他喜樂。

4 comments:

  1. I am not so sure if it is so called "paradox".
    I think both of the prayer items are good and they are co-exist.
    I am not a wise man to advise. May God himself reveal what is best to you and I am confident that He will. God is a loving father and never leaves us alone.
    I do not quite understand when you shared this "I do not know whether I would be back on the same path but walk it with a different inner quality or I will take one step at a time to walk a new path.". I am just asking. No need to reply as I know you got other priorities.
    Take care.
    Keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, "the end goal is about loving God and the activities are really just the means." Moreover, God is faithful and responsible for that also. 為這緣故、我也受這些苦難.然而我不以為恥.因為知道我所信的是誰、也深信他能保全我所交付他的、〔或作他所交託我的〕直到那日。 (2Tim 1:12)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Doris,

    Out of your trials and sufferings, the Lord has indeed poured out a tremendous riches of His blessings and revelations to you and through you to us. It is amazing how God used movies, the ups and downs of this illness, the interactions with the nurse to teach us and instruct us of His truth - "put on tender mercies, kindness, humility, meekness, long-suffering; bearing with one another and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do."

    We're so privileged to journey with you! Thank you so sharing such glorious riches! God is really using your communication skills, your writing style, your suffering to draw us closer and deeper in His truth and love!

    Remembering you and looking forward to seeing this battle to be over soon!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate that you have the strength to go the extra mile and find meaning in the 'ordeal'. Let's aim at a rich and meaningful life while accepting the pain that life inevitably brings.


    Accept what is out of your personal control while commit to taking action that enriches our life. Acceptance means openin up and making room for painful feelings, sensations, urges and emotions. We drop the struggle with them, give them some breathing space, and allow them to be as they are. Instead of fighting them, resisting them, running from them, or getting overwhelmed by them, let's open up to them and let them be. (This doesn't mean liking them or wanting them. It simply means making room for them).

    The wade through the swamp metaphor (Hayes 1999)

    Suppose you love mountain climbing. It's sth you are passionate about. And one day you set out to climb this mountain. But when you get close to the mountain, you discover that a swamp runs all the way around it. It's a big surprise (just like cancer). But now the only way you will get to climb that mountain is to wade thru the swamp. So that's what you do. You wade thru the swamp (with the help of God). You don't wallow in it, just for the sake of it. You wade thru the swamp because climbing that mountain matters!

    Let's discuss more in the future.

    Mindful man

    ReplyDelete