Tuesday, September 14, 2010

September 14 Getting used to Radiotherapy

I am gradually recovering, trying to stay positive and humbly acknowledging my limitations. Victor noted that if I joke, I am okay. If I do not, that is not good. If I start to snap back in English, it is usually a bad omen (precursor to a fever!)

Last Sunday I was able to go to church after missing worship services for a few weeks due to the fever and body weaknesses. The sermon was on Psalm 27, one of my favorite Psalms. It was a special blessing! [V.13-14 “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.” NIV]

I am getting used to the radiotherapy sessions now, learning to cooperate with the staff when they work on my half-naked body in its awkward position. The key is to be passive and let them move you. I am somewhat surprised but glad that I learn to “cooperate” quickly. When I lie there, my mind tends to drift here and there. Today I thought about individuals with developmental disabilities, a population particularly vulnerable to abuse. At one point in my life I have some “expertise” on sexual abuse issues related to this population. They are a high risk population because they have to be reliant on others to take care of their bodies and have often been taught to be compliant. Bodily boundaries are blurred and sometimes being too compliant may put them at risk. You may think that the assoication of radiotherapy to sexual abuse of individuals with developmental disabilities is remote. It is amazing how this patient role has allowed (forced?) me to experience things from very different perspectives. These days I think about people I had worked with (or served) in the past and sometimes gain new insights because of my patient role. I pray that I would have more understanding, empathy and compassion in the days to come.

As for the teaching, I am learning to pray more for wisdom so that I can offer my best to the students. Plus, I want to do it with more of my “heart.” I appreciate your prayers on this. Tomorrow I will be traveling back for my class.

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear that you find meaning in your cancer. You may find the following article inspiring.

    在2003年,香港經歷「沙士」(SARS)。沙士疫潮令香港有多達1700人受感染,近三百人死亡。本港經濟受到嚴重打擊,失業情況加劇。 香港大學社會工作及社會行政學系教授陳麗雲在港台《香港家書》中指出香港社會需要「重建人生意義」的哀傷輔導,從挫折逆境中尋找生命的啟示。陳麗雲指出:「一場SARS疫症感染了1,700多位病人,令香港經濟大受打擊,使萬多人因此失業,社會上瀰漫著負面情緒及傷感。SARS不單影響病患者身體的健康,亦令整個社會受到很大的心理、家庭及情緒上的集體創傷。一些SARS受感染者及家庭,遭到外界歧視,承受著肉體,情緒上的後遺症,更受到經濟和社會的壓力,受了很大的委屈,有冤無路訴。終日活在憤怒和負面情緒中。…(SARS)到今天已經相隔半年,我們看到有很多復康者和喪親者的家人,主動地返回自己的工作崗位。他們不單無被SARS所威嚇,反而更加主動,更加珍惜生命,更加關愛身邊的人,更加懂得歌頌生命的每一天。」

    Best wishes

    Mindful man

    ReplyDelete