Tuesday, May 11, 2010

May 11 Immune System

Today is Day 8 after my 1st chemotherapy shot. My white blood count is supposed to be lowest on Day 7 to 11. I started my day on the right track – devotion, exercise, playing half an hour piano, eating lunch, nap, try some work, call a friend, etc.

Victor has class tonight and I had to fix and eat dinner alone. We bought a chicken and since I had not had chicken for such a long time, I became a bit obsessed. I wanted to cook something fancy; then started worrying about not eating right. Lastly I became unsure whether the chicken pieces were actually fully cooked! Some days I had "worry" attacks such as this.

Today I felt like my immune system was vulnerable and defenseless. I imagined the worst when an old lady sneezed a few feet away from me. Then I felt unsure about the food I had. It was mostly irrational but I lost objectivity. The truth is I cannot control my body. There is not much I can do about my white blood count. I can monitor my food intake but there is no guarantee my body takes in the nutrition. I cannot quite rely on my bodily sensations either because nauseating is a side effect of chemotherapy. I need to trust that my body can go through the chemotherapy. Most important I need to trust that God is taking care of my body. Please pray for rest in His healing hands.

3 comments:

  1. Doris,

    I am glad that you are holding up. Keep up with your spirit! May our Lord lead the way.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't follow those "guidelines" which only leads you to losing heart, worry and panic. Follow God's guidelines "Be strong and take heart,all you who hope in the Lord" Ps. 31:24
    No matter what is going on, even the whole world is in turmoil, our Lord is still in control "The Lord sat as King at the flood; Yes, the Lord sits as King forever" Ps 29:10

    ReplyDelete