Saturday, August 14, 2010

August 14 Word of Encouragement

This morning I was whiny. I told Victor I needed a word of encouragement. My husband has been attentive these days (so I am taking every advantage before he returns to his “normal” mode); he tried to come up with something good to say. But I told him I needed a word of encouragement from the Lord.

Sure enough when I studied the Bible, I found the word of encouragement. These days I have continued my study on healing in the New Testament, focusing on passages with the word heal [Greek words “therapeuo,” “iaomai ,”“sozo,” “diasozo” plus associated nouns)]. Today I came across the word “heal” [Greek word iaomai] in Hebrews 12:13. So I started studying Hebrews Ch 12.

You are probably familiar with Hebrews 12, following Hebrews 11 about the crowd of witnesses:
v.1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
v. 2 Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
v. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
v. 4 In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.
v. 5 And you have forgotten that word of encouragement [the NIV translation is my exact request! Can also be translated as exhortation, comfort, and consolation] that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
v. 6 because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."


This word of encouragement is originally from Proverbs 3:11-12. The Lord reminds me that my fighting cancer is not yet a warfare involving the shedding of blood. Rather I should embrace it as the loving discipline of our Father. In modern days the word discipline is sometimes not received favorably. The Greek word used here is paideuo (pahee-dyoo'-o); meaning to train up a child. [Pediatrics, pedagogue – also derived from paidion, meaning child]. There are 8 words in this passage related to paidion. The meaning is simply the training and instruction of a child.

v. 7 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? 8 If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons. 9 Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of our spirits and live! 10 Our fathers disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness. 11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Some days it is difficult to see any meaning in having cancer. The process is unpleasant. There is the uncertainty of recurrence. But the Lord can discipline and train us in all circumstances for our good. The promise is that we can share His holiness and it can also produce “peaceful fruit” that yields righteousness. I still have to understand what it means to me personally but I hold onto this promise.

v. 12 Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. 13 "Make level paths for your feet," so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.
“Make level paths for your feet” was from Proverbs 4:26 [Make level paths for your feet and take only ways that are firm.] Here the exhortation is that we need to carefully choose the path. This latter half of Hebrews 12:12 is really difficult to understand so I have to check out other translations and commentaries. I think NASB’s translation is the best “so that the limb which is lame may not be put out of joint, but rather be healed.” Our task then is to carefully choose our paths, by so doing we are make straight paths for those who are weak to walk, that they may not be injured but rather be healed.

This is a challenging responsibility. I pray therefore that the Lord will strengthen me to continue on in His discipline and training. People who had walked through the path before me have helped me. Perhaps I also can go through this path and make it “level” for those who are coming along, that we may help one another not to stumble but rather be healed.

P.S. Thank you for your prayers - no fever for me today. I think this is part of the Lord's strengthening my faith. My sister's illness is bad - 102 degrees at one point and still fever today.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Doris

    You will make it. It may be easy for me to say. However, I could see the Lord is holding your hand (carrying you) to go through. Will keep praying for you, your sister and Victor.

    ReplyDelete