Monday, August 16, 2010

August 16 Thanksgiving for My Prayer Partners

Victor took the day off from work to keep me company for the medical check at the hospital. Today is his birthday, the big one – 50th! I would have want a big party for him but it would not be possible this year. His colleagues had a small celebration with him on Friday; yesterday we had dinner with his long-time friend from Los Angeles. (So I did sneak out again!) We have not been in Hong Kong long enough to develop intimate friendships here. Folks in Hong Kong are usually too busy and hanging-out is not the cultural norm. Victor in particular misses friends of 20-some years who have shared major milestones with him.

Today at the hospital I noticed someone wearing a nice hat. I could not resist and went over to ask her where she bought it. As we chatted, I found out she had started her chemotherapy much earlier but each time her shot had been delayed until her liver functioning improved. Usually I do not feel like talking with others because conversations can get me more anxious – worrying about the pesticide on fruits, etc.
Today I chatted with some ladies diagnosed with breast cancer; I learned that delays were quite common. I realized how “daring” I had been to assume that my 6 cycles could go smoothly and that I would be ready for school in the fall semester. I recalled I vaguely trust God that all this would work out. Before I left the hospital, the lady in the nice hat told me sadly that her shot would be postponed again. The Lord reminds me how He has carried me through each round and protected me from infections and complications. His grace and mercies are not to be taken for granted. I am also blessed to have so many of you praying for me.

Yesterday in my bible study on healing, I came across
James 5:13-16:
13 Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise. 14 Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.

I wondered why in sickness the advice is specifically to call the elders of the church to pray. In addition, “the prayer offered in faith” is singular. I tried to study on this but have not found a satisfactory answer yet. The one important thing I noted is that prayer from our faith community is essential. It takes a lot to build up the kind of community that practices mutual confession. But the prayer of a community of righteous believers would be so powerful. Your prayers have been critical in my healing journey! I thank God for all of you!

The cancer journey has allowed me to connect with people in a deeper way. [In particular I have reconnected with a number of long lost friends from college. At first I thought writing a journal is therapeutic for me. Sharing my thoughts and experiences on the blog allows me to share with others beyond time and space. At first I was worried about this blogging thing being a bit “narcissistic.” However I found that comments and emails exchanges from friends have helped us share and fellowship more intimately. Your thoughts and prayers indeed are part of God’s healing.

Tomorrow I will have my last shot - pray that the veins are ready to take in the drug and my body to endure this one more time!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Victor! Good to hear that everything went smoothly. Hope your last shot went well today. Can't wait to visit you when you are better. Siu Ding has not seen you for a while now. She wants to play with you. God blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you chatted with some of the patients.
    I have been praying that you will break thru. the problem of "anxious, worries" so that you can see how God has been blessing you and you will be a witness and comforts to them.
    A few of our seniors from the senior fellowship have been praying for you everyday. I thank them for their faithfulness.
    The Lord will carry you your 2nd phase - radiation. We just keep trusting Him.

    ReplyDelete