Thursday, July 22, 2010

July 22th Bitter Taste

“Dysguesia – definition: an altered sensation of taste, often unpleasant. It is a side effect of chemotherapy medications, and is described as a sensation of "metal mouth," a bitter taste, or a lack of ability to taste foods -- especially those that are sweet.” (lungcancer.about.com/od/glossary/g/dysguesia.htm)

So I found this fancy word to describe the bitter taste I have for quite a number of days! It is an “interesting” experience because food really tastes different from what you remember. I have to check with Victor or my sisters – is the fruit really not sweet or is it just my distorted taste? Usually it is just me!

Bitterness (marah) has a special meaning for me metaphorically. I have been praying that the Lord would turn bitterness into sweetness [Blog entry May 5th First Day of Chemotherapy]. I am also learning to accept that "bitterness of soul" can be beneficial to the person. [Blog entry July 1st Missing Piece in Hezekiah]

As I experience this bitter taste in my mouth, I realize that if the bitterness is due to our own distorted sensation, everything tastes bad. Even the tastiest food becomes bitter. You simply cannot taste sweetness. It takes quite a number of days for this bitterness in the mouth to gradually wear off.


Ps 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him. NIV

It is a gift to taste the goodness of God. Lord, take away any bitterness in us so that we can taste the fullness of Your goodness!

2 comments:

  1. 願妳能早日可以嘗到食物的真味道。基督是位受過苦的神。衪最明白你的感受。中國人有句話,吃得苦中苦,方為人上人。

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your insightful post, Doris. I have been kind of frustrated with work these days, despite that summer time is actually less stressful than term time. I pray that God will take away the bitterness in my heart and that in your mouth. :)
    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete