Friday, March 26, 2010

March 26 Reflectons on Hezekiah's Healing Miracle

I had written briefly on the blog about the healing Hezekiah experienced. During my hospital stay, I meditated some more on his healing and the miraculous sign he received. In addition to 2 Kings 20, it is important to also study 2 Chronicles 32: 24-31.

Hezekiah is a man of great achievements:
1) Once he began his reign, he brought the priests and Levites together to purify the Temple (2 Chron 29:3-18). He restored sacrifices and worship (v.20-35), bringing the service of the Temple in order (v. 35)
2) He called both the Northern and Southern kingdom (Israel and Judah) to celebrate Passover together (2 Chron Ch 30)
3) He facilitated the destruction of Asherah poles, high places and altar (2 Chron 31:1). He even removed the bronze snake Moses had made, as people began to burn incense to it. (2 Kings 18:4)
4) He reinstated ongoing worship and offering in the Temple and thus priests and Levites serving the Temple received provisions (2 Chron 31:2-19).
5) He dealt with Sennacherib the King of Assyria with great faith in the Lord and courage (2 Chron 32). [Details of the incident are recorded in 2 Kings Ch 18-19.]
6) He had great riches and honors as well as treasures (2 Chron 32: 27)
7) He built villages and even channeled water from the Gihon Spring to the City. (2 Chron 32: 29-30).

Summary remarks of Hezekiah:
2 Chron 3:20-21 summarized Hezekiah as:
“He did what was good and right and faithful before the Lord his God. In everything that he undertook in the service of God’s temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and work wholeheartedly. And so he prospered.”
2 Kings 18: 5-7 summarized him as
“Hezekiah trusted in the Lord, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him.”

My Reflections:
Here is an outstanding king, servant of God, and leader of God's people who succeeded in everything He undertook! The interesting transition is in 2 Chron 32: 23. “Many brought offerings to Jerusalem for the Lord and valuable gifts to Hezekiah King of Judah. From then on he was highly regarded by all the nations. (v. 23)” At the pinnacle of his life, Hezekiah was stricken with a terminal illness.

In 2 Kings 20, Hezekiah wept and prayed to the Lord, asking God to remember him (v. 2-3). [Note that he did not specifically ask for healing but to be remembered.] God heard his prayer, saw his tears and 1) healed him, 2) gave him additional 15 years, and 3) promised deliverance from Assyrians (v. 4-6). [These are great gifts!] When Isaiah put a poultice of figs on his boil, Hezekiah recovered (v.8). Yet he proceeded to ask for an additional sign for assurance that he would be able to go to the Temple in 3 days. He was then given a sign and he opted for a difficult one (v. 9 asking to see the shadow go back ten steps. [It seems that he became more demanding after the healing!]

2 Chron 32: 25 reported that Hezekiah had grown “proud”. [He seemed to have taken God’s gifts for granted instead of responding and receiving them with humility and thankfulness.] Later envoys were sent by the rulers of Babylon to ask him about this miraculous sign that had occurred in the land (2 Chron 32: 31). This would be a great opportunity for him to share with the Gentile King the wonderful miracle in his life. It would be the time to testify and honor God. Yet what Hezekiah did was to simply show off his wealth and his achievements, “There was nothing in his palace or in all his kingdom that Hezekiah did not show them.” (2 Kings 20: 13-15). When being tested (same word used in the testing of Abraham in Genesis 22), he failed (v.31). After a life faithfully following God, pride was found in his heart. How unfortunate!!

Illness and trials help us to humble ourselves before the Lord. Things have been going so well for me -- I enjoy teaching my courses, interaction with students, and research work with colleagues; I thank God for ministry and service opportunities… I love my Sunday School class and was about to start a new student bible study. In particular the Lord has been blessing me with spiritual lessons and breakthroughs. The cancer was shocking because things seem to be going “good” with no signs of physical ailments. You don’t expect a life-threatening illness to be growing within you when things are going well. I have to immediately put everything on hold to re-examine my life and humble myself before Him.

If the Lord would grant me a “miraculous healing,” I am not sure within my heart I have the gratitude and responsiveness to receive such great gifts. I ask the Lord to teach me to honor and acknowledge Him in everyway. I pray that I would really testify His goodness in the years to come and not dwell on any achievements as if they are my own doing. Dear God, when You test me and search my heart, may the blood of Christ cover my sin and my pride.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Srpz1-wA03Q

    hope this song assure you God's love will never never leave you, like the sun always up in the sky......

    ReplyDelete
  2. See-Mo, Thank you for offering a prayer that I too can and must use.

    ReplyDelete