Tuesday, March 16, 2010

March 16 Prayer before surgery day

Yesterday one of my former Sunday school kids "IM" me to tell me they are praying for me. How sweet! Then my own Sunday school teacher (from maybe 25-30 years ago)called me and my former youth group counselor brought me some soup. It was indeed a very sweet day!!

I wonder how my Sunday school kids would pray for me – to get better, to be brave…to get rid of the cancer, to be healed… Now how did I teach them to pray? Not sure if I did alright. : ) I know I would want them to express themselves spontaneously and truthfully to their Heavenly Father. I like them to pray expectantly, that God will answer. The most challenging is to help them understand God’s responses, beyond the simple “yes” “no” and “wait”.

Many years ago, someone dear to me was comatose after a car accident. We prayed fervently for the person to wake up from the coma. One message from fellow believers was that if we had faith, God would heal. This had become my stumbling block for a long time as the person had remained in the so-called “vegetable” state. The diagnosis of cancer brought me fresh memories of that incident. In fact I cried over the disappointment from last time. I tried to gather my thoughts and asked myself what I had learned throughout these years and what my prayer should be in my own crisis.

1. First, complete recovery doesn’t guarantee the person would lead a good life afterwards. For example Hezekiah cried on his death bed and God gave him additional years plus a miracle against nature as a sign. The King of Babylon brought him a gift because of this illness and he did something foolish to invite turmoil in the years to come. (Read 1 King 20 to find out what happened).

2. Second, Jesus healed many on earth. His healing miracles are very varied - some including forgiveness, some involving touch and others simply from a distance. Sometimes the individual’s faith (woman with blood disease) was acknowledged; sometimes the requester’s faith seems to be the key (friends of the paralytic man, the Canaanite woman ready to take crumbs from the table for her daughter). Other times, it was simply based on Jesus’ compassion (e.g. the widow’s son who died). It is important to note that He helped those struggling to believe as well (Mark 9:24 & Luke 8:50).

3. Third, while we all bring our requests to God, Jesus’ prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane should supercede all prayers – a prayer that seeks the fulfillment of God’s will in His life, and not His own will.

My prayerI think prayer deep from within requires us to be naked before God. You are who you are and you bring your earnest request to God. I do pray for complete healing – mind, body and spirit. I pray for forgiveness of sins and the Lord’s cleansing and healing. I also pray that I can accept His sovereign will with faith, hope and love; especially when His healing path is different from what I would want. Lastly, I do pray for a renewed life – that I may be changed, that I may be able to live differently and hold onto to His love.

Thank you for all your prayers.

12 comments:

  1. Fight the good fight! I do not know how to travel on without you!
    Victor

    ReplyDelete
  2. 親愛的姊妹,不知有多少禱告伴着妳。郤深知祂的愛和恩典沒有離開妳。看來妳已準備了。願手術順利。仍是八個字:一刀兩斷,各自上路。我雖在遠方,我的心仍然很寄掛在香港的妳。我們是信耶穌的。讓我們有平安、信心和勇氣去面對這手術。請好好休息。祝早日康復!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your learned lessons and wisdom. It is good to remember that God has His ways and plans as to who and what and why He heals, and it is for us to share our desires but not to orchestrate. Your courage and desire to hear from God through this is an inspiration to me. Grace and peace to you! Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. 親愛的葉師母:
    謝謝妳跟我們分享心靈裏的深切反思,
    並在主耶穌基督面前坦誠又謙卑的省察,
    這些都教我們學習許多。

    是的,沒有甚麼比起可以坦然、坦盪盪地來到恩主跟前更是難得。
    這是生命的重塑,也是生命的回歸。

    這一仗,真是要用上萬股的勇氣去迎上。
    然而,主的恩典定必臨在,也必夠用。
    沙灘上的一雙足印就是一個佐證。

    我們的心思掛念妳,
    我們的禱告必然有妳,
    求主顧念妳和葉牧師的身體和心靈,
    祝願手術過程順利,治療有方。

    Sherman 慧清

    ReplyDelete
  5. Five things I pray for u;
    D - Decision making
    O - Overcome
    R - Recovery
    I - (God) in control
    S - Submission

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry Doris-
    My prayer will act like your support. May you be blessed by the Holy Spirit, that you will win this war and overcome the cancer.
    You are not alone in this battle, your fellow peers, families, brothers, sisters, will all assist you!

    With all love and care,
    Suzy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Doris,
    You will come out from this trial better, stronger and more like Christ.
    With love and prayer
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Doris,

    You're covered with prayers. We think about you everyday and trust the Lord has a good purpose in this trial for you.

    Thanks for sharing your journey of faith! Your sharing is very inspiring and candid. It helps us to draw deeper to the ONE who holds everything together.

    May you find His everlasting arms beneath you all the way in this fight!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. God is using you to teach us how to be a Christian and His servant, how to pray, how to trust, and how to have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doris,
    Our love and prayers surround you. May God's love and protection embrace you. Longing to seeing you. Call me when you are ready to see me. Alice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Doris,

    Glad to know the surgery went well and you are recovering. You are in our prayers.

    Ron and Christine

    ReplyDelete
  12. 加拉太書 5:5
    我們靠著.聖靈, 憑著信心, 等候所盼望的義.

    Keep up the good fight!

    God bless

    ReplyDelete