Thursday, April 8, 2010

April 7 Survival Rates and Life Priorities

Yesterday I searched articles and read about breast cancer survival rates. Guess which search word I used – “cancer mortality” or “cancer survival”? I used “Survival”!! : )
The National Cancer Institute actually has a web site where you can input information to get statistics on the probability of developing or dying from different types of cancer based on age, race and other factors. Of course you can also look up survival rates.

Victor did not want me to spend too much energy reading on the subject. So I limited myself to basic information such as 5-year survival rates for breast cancer based on type of cancer, size of the tumor and lymph node involvement. I like to know the objective facts. It actually helps me cope with the reality of cancer.

“Do not deny or desire death but embrace it so that you will learn how to truly live.” This is a quote from a cancer survivor. I cannot agree more. Since most studies talk about 5-year survival rates, I begin to seriously consider what my priorities are if I have 5 years. To be honest I do not have a lot of priorities. First, I can be easily replaced. The projects I have begun (programs, research, student ministries, speaking engagements, etc.) can easily be picked up by others and I won’t be surprised at all they can do a better job. Second, I do not have kids. So I do not have any obligatory responsibility. My only “responsibility” is to resolve the mortgage issue so that it would not become a financial burden for Victor. Third, I have lived a good life. I have been a secretary, a youth counselor, a psychologist, a university professor (although not promoted to a full professor yet), a pastor’s wife, a Sunday school teacher, etc. I even get a taste of missionary life in Macau (although I have not led anyone to Christ there yet.) I have grown to become more than I can ever imagine as a child. Yes, there are a lot more things I can do. I can still “advance” in my career or “expand” my services/ministries. Victor said I have not yet lived to the fullest potential with the gifts and talents the Lord has given me, blah, blah, blah… Yes, but I think ultimately this is not very important either. I remembered reading an article about Billy Graham a few years ago. His wife had passed away and his health was declining. He noted that the most important is about loving God, not the accomplishments he had valued at a younger age. Yes, my priority is to love God and may He teach me how to love Him more and more! I learned during my hospitalization that I do not have to do more to be received by the Lord. Rather God loves us so much that He sent His son on earth to become man, to suffer and die on the cross to save us. We rely on His love, not what we have accomplished or not accomplished on earth. I do not need to worry if I have “done my job well” on earth. His love is sufficient and His forgiveness is complete. We hold onto this reality.

When Victor and I returned to Hong Kong, I thought I had 20 years. Then I recognized that retirement age in Hong Kong is 60 and so I reduced the time to 15 years. Now I realized I may have few years than that. My perspective really changed. It now becomes the first 2 years (recurrence of cancer usually occurs in 2 years), then 5 years, and then perhaps 10-year-survival. Perhaps even longer… From this angle, the priorities are really different from simply assuming you have 15 years ahead to make plans.

Indeed the Lord is teaching me how to live when I embrace death. Death is only a passage to the real life. George MacDonald has an excellent book At the Back of the North Wind. Death is but an entrance to the “real country.” [It is supposed to be a children’s book but I think only adults can really understand it.] The survival statistics are useful; they remind me to live each day starting from today.

8 comments:

  1. The longevity of life does'nt matter, but the meaning leading to life that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 生命的長短不在人的控制及計劃之內,只要每一天醒來,看見自己能吃、能走、能說、能聽、能.....就充滿感恩,因為這些非必然的事。做人簡單一點,放鬆一些,學習倚靠神,像小孩全然倚靠父母一樣,便會開心一些,也輕省一點。當然不能放棄自己,積極地面對及過每一天,這是祂要我們做得到的。

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Victor
    it is simple - you are very important to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Doris,

    I keep following ur blog. Everytime I want to leave u a message, but I simply don't know what to say. But today, I want u to know that in the short time that I've known u, I'm really thankful to u. U r a role model worth looking up to, both professionally & spiritually. While there is no one who cannot be replaced, there are those who leave marks in others' lives forever. And u r one of them.



    Besides this, I still don't know what to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo the last comment. I have been following your blog. This may not sound right, I look forward reading your blog. You are always an inspiration to me.
    Reading and Praying for you
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to read your blog. The following is quoted from my book to be published. I would like to share with you. Let Go Let God! We will continue to pray for you!

    「寧靜的禱文」說明了接受的原則,「求主賜給我平靜去接受一些我不能改變的事實,賜給我勇氣去改變一些我所能改變的事情,並賜我智慧分辨兩者。」

    能分辨哪些是可以改變,哪些是不可以改變的事情,對我們的精神健康有重大影響。對於那些不能改變的事實 ,我們需要學習接受。接受指採取不批判及願意的態度承載一些不如意的經歷,包括一些負面的情緒、思想及記憶。

    當我們嘗試接受一些不如意的事情,我們可讓自己有更大的空間及精力去應付你能改變的事情。如果我們對不能改變的事實採取逃避及否認的態度,這只會加劇我們的傷痛。

    試想像你與你的煩惱進行一場拔河比賽。這些煩惱可能包括不能接受親友的離去,自己或別人的虧欠等。當你越想勝過這些煩惱,那些煩惱就像怪獸一樣,越扯得更大力,把你拉下去。最後,你想到一個解決方法 — 放下執著,放下繩索。當你放下繩索,那煩惱怪獸便倒下來。當你選擇接受現實,接受一些不能改變的事實,你會發現「退一步,海闊天空」呢!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Elvo: "there are those who leave marks in others' lives forever" Well said. Doris, this is how God is using you right now.

    Your sharing of your relationship with God and priorities in life is a very timely reminder to me. I have been very busy for a long time, both at work and at home. However, sometimes I really puzzle whether I am living with God as my first priority. Your posts make me think seriously about what I am really doing, and how I should allocate my time, which is essentially a gift from God everyday.

    Live each day, with God. It's not easy, but encouragement from brothers and sisters help. Thanks for your reminder.

    ReplyDelete